In today’s society, we are not always able to bring our pre-made meals that we intentionally want to bring and eat. We might get stuck in traffic, or stay late at work. Honestly, it seems that something “always comes up”. Many of my clients have asked me what to eat for the “fast-paced” lifestyle or “in case of emergency” quick and extremely convenient FAST FOOD options.
As we all know, the BEST way to know exactly what you are putting into your body, is by cooking your own food from home. Every time you eat out, you are gambling with hidden, unknown calories. But, if there is NO other alternative and feel that your ONLY choice is to go thru the Drive-Thru, here are my top smart food choices at many different Fast Food Joints……..These are basic guidelines. I do have an extended list for clients that I am personally working with!
- Roast Chicken Deluxe Sandwich (from the lite menu)
- Roast Turkey Deluxe Sandwich (from the lite menu)
- Roast Chicken Salad (only 2 tbs of salad dressing)
- BK Broiler Chicken Sandwich
- Broiled Chicken Salad
- Turkey Carver Sandwich
- Chicken Carver Sandwhich
- Turkey Breast or Chicken Breast
**Combined with 1 small side dish:
- Steamed Vegetables
- Garlic and Dill New Potatoes
- Rice Pilaf
- Fruit Salad
- Zucchini Marinara
- Chicken Filet
- Grilled Chicken Salad
Jack In The Box
- Chicken Fajita Pita
- Grilled Chicken Filet Sandwhich
- Grilled Teriyaki Bowl (this is 2 meals)
- Tender Roasted Chicken (white meat, without skin, with small serving of mashed potatoes)
Long John Silver’s
- Flavor Baked Fish or Chicken
**combined with 1 smallside dish:
- Baked Potato (plain)
- Green Beans
- Grilled Chicken Deluxe
- Grilled Chicken Salad (2 tbs of salad dressing)
- Six-inch Turkey Breast Sub
- Grilled Chicken Burrito
- Grilled Chicken Soft Taco
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Salad
- For all salads, try to limit your salad dressing. These are where the hidden calories are. Some salads have even MORE calories than if you were to eat 2 burgers! No croutons and limited cheese are other rules to stick by!
- For all sandwiches, take half of the bun and throw it away! Noone needs to eat that much bread!
- Always ask for NO MAYO! You may always use mustard. It is a great way to spice up the sandwich for GREAT flavor!
- Always watch for sauces. They taste good but that is only because they are high in fat or sugar and always calories! Salsa is always a safe option! Try it on a salad sometime!
- For beverage choice, opt for water, of course but try a regular or decaf coffee for a change.. limit the cream and sugar and it is a great way to have a low-calorie beverage instead of a Diet Soda option!