As a personal trainer I am always being asked what supplements would I recommend. As a former Store Manager for GNC my customers were always asking me this questions as well. It doesn’t matter how old they are, or what shape they are in, or whether they are working out or not, and to them and you I say …HOW DO I KNOW… ha ha ha. Sorry readers I couldn’t resist. Seriously though there are different supplements for different things in your life.
But here is a general Real Gainz Top 10 Supplement List:
2. Vitamin C
4. Calcium with Vitamin D
5. Omega 3 Fatty Acid
8. A SuperFood Product
9. Ginko Biloba
10. Green Tea Complex
Ok now lets dive right into each one so you could understand as to why I’ve chosen these 10 items.
1. Multivitamin: No matter what you do a good Multivitamin is a good start to a healthy lifestyle. There is scientific research that shows everyone could use a daily MultiVitamin. We only get about 10% of our daily vitamins and minerals from food. After Cleaning them, processing it, cooking it we loose almost all of the foods key nutrients.
2. Vitamin C: This Vitamin helps support natural resistance against free radicals. Free radicals come from over exposure to the elements.
Vitamin C helps the body absorb Iron, and important for collagen, healthy Bones, Teeth and our blood vessels.
3. B-Complex: Essential for energy production and has different B vitamins in it.
Here is a break down of some of the B-vitamins and what they do:
I. Niacin (B-3): Supports a healthy blood lipid profile.
II. Folic Acid: May reduce a women’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord defect.
III. B-6: Critical to nervous system function.
IV. B-12: Essential for energy Production.
Folic Acid, B-6, & B-12 all help maintain a healthy homocysteine level.
4. Calcium with Vit. D: After your mid-30’s everyone slowly loses bone mass. However, woman lose bone mass faster than men. But guys don’t be fooled or stupid we lose bone mass as well. Taking Calcium with Vit. D helps in preventing this. The Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium.
The National Academy of Sciences recommends the following for taking Calcium:
Age 1-3: 500mg/day
51 & Older: 1,200mg/day
Pregnant and Nursing women: 1,300mg/day
Menopausal women: 1,500mg/day
5. Omega 3 fatty acid: Also known as: Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, it helps lower cholesterol, lubricates the joints. And the cardiovascular system. Helps support a healthy blood pressure, as well as, healthy skin and brain functions.
6. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM: May help reduce osteoarthritis pain. It helps to rebuild cartilage and lubricates joints. The msm helps as an anti inflammatory.
7: Co-Q10: Also Known as Coenzyme Q-10 and is an antioxidant for the heart. It support heart and blood vessel functions.
8. Superfood Complex: A SuperFoods Complex contains a powerful blend of nutrient and antioxidants that help to support good health. Each serving should supply more antioxidant capacity than 13 servings of fruits and vegetables. As stated in the multivitamin section above: Free radicals can break down healthy cells and potentially lead to a variety of health problems. Air pollution, chemicals, food additives, physical stress and our body’s normal use of oxygen contribute to the production of these harmful compounds. Antioxidants help to fight cell-damaging free radicals.
9. Ginko Biloba: Is an herb that has been found to help support mental sharpness, Helps support blood flow to the brain and extremities.
10. Green Tea Complex: Women who drink five or more 3.4-ounce cups of green tea every day cut their risk of heart disease by 31% compared with women who drink one or fewer 3.4-ounce cups. Men who drink this much green tea cut their heart disease risk by 22%. A good Green Tea Complex should have 125mg of EGCG to support metabolism. It is also a good Antioxidant.
Well that’s it the Top 10 Supplements you can not live without.
**BE HEALTHY**STAY HEALTHY**LIVE HEALTHY**
Original written as an article in the second issue of Real Gainz Fitness Magazine.
Keith has a plethora of fitness information and knowledge that can help you. Come contact him and take advantage of all he has to offer.